Vector borne diseases like Malaria and DengueMarch 09
Common preventive measures:
- Maintain home cleanliness.
- Eliminating pockets of stagnant water that serve as mosquito breeding sites at home & workplace. Overhead tank, air coolers, plants, flower vases, etc.
- Prevent mosquito entry by keeping doors and window closed with netting.
- Wearing protective clothing like long sleeved shirts, long pants, socks and shoes.
- Use of mosquito repellant, local application and mosquito nets to prevent mosquito bite.
- Use of DDT spray or Insecticides particularly in monsoon season.
- Do not store water in open containers.
- Scrubbing and cleaning margins of containers used for water.
- Covering overhead tank to prevent access to mosquitoes.
- Use of prophylactic anti malarial drugs on the advice of your doctor before travelling to endemic areas.
- Dengue causing Mosquitoes usually bite during the day; therefore, special precautions should be taken during early morning hours before daybreak and in the late afternoon before dark.